Thursday, September 22, 2011

Productive Day

Weird kind of day for my film...its been analysed by five or six quite different people over the last few days, including a few of my tutors. Got interesting advice and insights to how I need to shape it and aim it. The big problem so far has been the uncertainty I have with exactly what it is I want to say with this character in this world.

The problem being that I focused on the design of the character and setting so much and developed them to the point where the story isn't really a story - its a character in a world and things happen without any underlying reason or coherency.

Someone gave me some very good advice recently - the story should dictate exactly who the character is and you should have no doubts about his motivations (especially when you want to make a performance heavy project like I'm trying to). And that character should then define the world he occupies.

So how I've been approaching the film has been completely wrong.

In the last three days the story has gone through more changes than it has all Summer and all last year if I'm honest. The design of the character and the world I've been clinging to has to go so I can focus on what the character needs to be and look like instead of trying to force a character and attitude onto a character design that wont be able to achieve what is needed.

I am certain of one thing though - he needs a beard.